Wednesday 30 June 2021

Weaved Flax Into Plates or baskets

On Monday we did flax weaving since it was Matariki week. We learnt about Matariki because of school.
We also learnt how to make a plate and basket out of flax so we could have a sausage on Friday. You could go in pairs though you each need one or otherwise the other person wouldn't get one. The class practised making a flax plate. The next day we were told to make a basket or mat. The people that had finished from Monday had kept their mat and were trying to make a basket. 
If you wanted to make a basket you'd need 12 pieces of cut flax, lay 7 landscape and 5 portrait on top of the 7 flax. I tried to make a basket though I decided to make a mat, though to start it off I needed someone's help. Here is how my one turned out. None of it was easy it took many attempts for me and I feel great for finishing it.
If you had free time would you ever do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful comment.